- Last Updated: Tuesday, 05 July 2022 17:05
- Published: Monday, 05 September 2016 19:42
- Written by PacketTracerNetwork
Things and Components available in Packet Tracer 8.1.1
In addition to classical network devices such as routers and switches available in the previous versions, Packet Tracer 8.1.1 Components Box now contains a wide variety of Smart Things and components :
- Smart Things are physical objects that can connect to the Registration Server or Home Gateway through a network interface. They are separated into 4 subcategories : Home, Smart City, Industrial, and Power Grid.
- Components are physical objects that connect to microcontroller (MCU-PT) or single boarded computers (SBC-PT). They typically does not have a network interface and rely on the MCU-PT or SBC-PT for network access. These are simple devices that only communicate through their analog or digital slots.
There are three subcategories for Components :
- Boards: microcontrollers (MCU-PT), single boarded computers (SBC-PT), and a special device called Thing which are used to create self-contained physical objects like coffee makers or smoke alarms.
- Actuators: these components manipulate the Environment, themselves, or the area around them.
- Sensors: these components sense the Environment (photo detectors, temperature sensor), the area around them (RFID, metal sensor), or interactions (potentiometer, push button).
MQTT protocol and applications wereadded in Packet Tracer 7.1 to improve communications between IoT devices