- Last Updated: Sunday, 03 October 2021 17:28
- Published: Wednesday, 27 May 2015 13:18
- Written by PacketTracerNetwork
Cisco Packet Tracer 8.0.1 and GNS3 v2.2 have been released a few days ago. GNS3 v2.2 provides a new HyperV GNS3 VM and link status detection on QEMU. Check download page !
Cisco Packet Tracer 8.0.1 and GNS3 v2.2 are two major network simulation software used for certification exam training (Cisco CCNA and CCNP for example) or network feature test without having to buy expensive real world equipment. The two software have been designed to address different needs.
Packet Tracer is a network simulator and embeds only limited real equipment features. GNS3 is a network emulator based on Dynamips and QEMU running real IOS images, virtual machines, ... The main limitation of GNS3 is the amount of ressources (CPU / memory) available on the PC for running the lab's emulated IOS images and virtual machines for clients & servers simulation.
GNS3 v2.2 official release is now available for download on GNS3 website. This new version released on September 30, 2019 with hyperV virtual machine and link status detection on QEUM. GNS3 also introduced support of new L4 / L7 devices :
- Cisco security devices : this powerful network emulator now supports new Cisco security appliance to help network and security administrators to prepare security certification exams : Cisco Firepower Next-Generation IPS (NGIPS) threat appliances, Cisco Firepower Threat Defense Virtual NGFW appliances and Firepower Management Center Virtual.
- Citrix ADC VPX load-balancer now available on GNS3 marketplace
Current GNS3 build is 2.2.25 as of September 14, 2021.