CCNA certification is a second-level Cisco Career certification. This certification level validates the ability to install, configure, operate, and troubleshoot medium-size switched and routed networks, including implementation and verification of connections to remote sites in a WAN environment. Upon completion, CCNA candidates should be able to successfully carry out any number of essential networking maintenance and troubleshooting duties such as operating LAN, WAN and dial access services for small networks, as well as having good working knowledge of protocols such as IP, IGRP, Serial, Frame Relay, IP RIP, VLAN’s, Ethernet and Access Lists.
Candidates have the option of two path to get CCNA certified. Either take and pass two individual exams or alternatively, one larger, combined exam. The exam options are:
Combined exam: 640-802 CCNA - 90 minutes.
- 640-822 ICND1 (90 minutes 40-50 questions) - CCENT certification
- 640-816 ICND2 (75-90 minutes 40-50 questions)
It is higly recommended to students passing CCNA for the first time to use the "individual exams" path as it allows candidates to focus on one subject area at a time and then take the relevant exam when they feel ready. Additionally, the two-exam approach gives the candidate the opportunity to ease into the certification by taking the 640-822 ICND1 exam first.
ICND1 exam topics
ICND2 exam topics
- Configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs and interswitch communications
- Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP Services to meet network requirements in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network
- Configure and troubleshoot basic operation and routing on Cisco devices
- Implement, verify, and troubleshoot NAT and ACLs in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network.
- Implement and verify WAN links
Exam topics may change at any time without notice. Find complete information about ICND2 exam topics on CiscoTM website : http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-816.html
Recommended books for exam preparation (self-study)
CCNA certifications are valid for three years. To recertify, you have to pass either the ICND2 or the CCNA exam, or pass any professional or specialization certification exam (CCNP, ...).
Pearson VUE delivers tests for associate, professional, and expert level certifications for Cisco Systems. Select your test center and schedule your ICND2 / CCNA exam on Pearson VUE website.